Travel Style & Packing Tips // Italy


Our trip to Italy this past May lasted 8 days and included 3 big cities with many kilometers of sightseeing on foot, 2 train trips, 1 road trip and 2 airports! Plus, there was a rain forecast for most of the days, so I had to take umbrellas, sneakers and trench coats for both of us, the Duke and myself. Since we were also going to carry our luggage for long distances, I had to pack light and choose my clothes, shoes and accessories strategically to cover two needs: Comfort & Style

> Color Palette: Black, white, red, pink & green
Key Items: 5 dresses, 2 skirts, 3 tops, 1 culotte, 1 trench coat, 2 cardigans 
> Shoes: 2 pairs of white sneakers, 1 pair of black ballerinas & 1 pair of black mid heels 
> Accessories: 1 straw bag, 3 small scarves, 2 pairs of statement earrings, 1 straw hat, 1 umbrella, 2 skinny belts

Day 1, Venice
For the first day that we arrived in Venice, I picked a red dress, perfect for a romantic evening and strolling around Venice by night, and paired it with my bright pink trench coat, black mid heels, bright fuchsia lipstick and accessorized my bag with a scarf matching the outfit.  





Day 2, Venice
The next day I wore a green cotton dress ideal for a long day sightseeing around the canals, a small trip to Murano island and all that under the sun! Comfortable sneakers, a wide-brimmed hat to cover my head from the sun, light makeup and a bright multicolored scarf for my hair accompanied the dress.




Day 3, Venice to Florence
Our 3rd day of the trip was the one we traveled from Venice to Florence, meaning carrying suitcases around the canals, on and off the water bus and then on and off the train! I wore a pair of black culotte pants, a striped white and red top, black ballet flats with bows, bright lipstick, my hat and my straw bag. 




Day 4, Tuscany Road Trip
On the 4th day, we went on a road trip to Tuscany, to visit San Gimigniano and Siena. I picked a sage cotton dress and paired it with light white sneakers, my hat, my bag and nude makeup colors. 




Day 5, Florence to Rome
The 5th day, was the most full and eventually a very hectic one! We were going to visit 3 museums in Florence (Galleria dell'Accademia, The Uffizi Gallery, Palazzo Pitti and The Boboli Gardens) then pick up our luggage and take the train to Rome! I went for a black top/white skirt combo paired with my black ballet flats and my straw bag. Unfortunately, for that day I did not take a close up photo of my make up, but I kept it in nude tones. 



Day 6, Rome
We were supposed to get some rest on the 6th day, but... guess what! We didn't, haha! We went to the Vatican to see the Museums, the Cappella Sistina, St. Peter's Cathedral and the Illuminati Square... and then the Castel Sant'Angelo, Piazza Navona and Fontana di Trevi... I wore a red & white striped shirt dress paired with sneakers and my straw bag, which I accessorized with a scarf. I kept my makeup neutral.



Day 7, Rome
That day was all about Trastevere with a quick stop at Colosseum. I picked a black skirt/white top combo with white sneakers and decorated my straw bag with a black&white polka dot scarf keeping my makeup neutral.




Day 8, Rome
Day 8, was our last day for sightseeing in Rome and we went to Piazza del Popolo, Piazza di Spagna and the Villa Borghese Gardens. I went for my favorite gingham black&white dress, paired with white sneakers, my straw bag and neutral makeup.



PACKING TIPS
1. Create outfits ahead of your trip. You don't need your entire closet with you! Make 1 outfit per each day and you are good to go
2. Decide a palette of 4 main colors. This way it will be easier to mix and match less shoes and accessories with more outfits
3. Accessorize smartly. Small scarves can transform your neutral bag. 
4. Roll, don't fold. Take clothes that don't wrinkle and roll them, they take less space in you suitcase and you don't need an iron

xoxo
|barefoot duchess|

Photos by The Duke and Me