Met Gala 2021 Favorites // Red Carpet


Co-hostess Billie Eilish in Oscar de la Renta

Since 2012 when I started my blog and began writing about the MET Gala, I have to admit that my most favorite year was 2015 "China: Through The Looking Glass" followed closely by 2018 "Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination

What I am always looking for in such an event is not only fashion, but also character and the ability of adapting the theme to one's personal style. The MET Gala themes usually give the opportunity to create statement looks and some of them are beyond imagination, both beautiful and terrible. As you might already know, I am not here for the gossip or the hateful comments, but to share with you what I enjoy. This blog was created to be a space of positivity and beauty, which means that something I don't like has no place here. 

This year's MET gala was couple of days ago, taking place in September instead of May, as it used to before the pandemic took every single aspect of life by storm. According to Vogue UK, "following last year’s Met Gala cancellation due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Costume Institute announced a two-part Met Gala for 2021 and 2022. This year’s exhibition is called In America: A Lexicon of Fashion, and will open on 18 September, while the Met Gala itself happened on the night of 13 September." [...] "the second part, entitled In America: An Anthology of Fashion, will fall on the first Monday of May in 2022 (2 May). Both shows will run through 5 September 2022.", which means that in 2022 the MET Gala will be taking place again in May. 

Not one of the best red carpets on this year's gala, I have to admit, but definitely with some of the most unique and memorable looks. To see my personal favorites, please keep reading...

Most Graceful Black Dress - Kaia Gerber in Oscar de la Renta
Exuding natural beauty and effortless elegance, Kaia, Cindy Crawford's daughter, brought Old Hollywood to the red carpet with a floor length black strapless gown, inspired by Bianca Jagger's 1981 MET Gala Dior look. She won my heart, she is my #1 of the evening! 




Most Stylish "Covered Up" Dress - Sharon Stone in Thom Browne
Rihanna and her boyfriend A$AP Rocky arrived at the gala all covered up, looking like they were wearing their duvets and so did Kim Kardashian, going over the top, literally, by covering everything, her face included! Well, almost everything, her ponytail was sticking out of the costume... To me, the most stylish covered up dress was the one that Sharon Stone was wearing, which was actually a tailored cape with a matching long sleeved maxi dress. 




Most Elegant "Naked" Dress - Kendall Jenner in Givenchy
Although I want to distance my blog from the Kardashian - Jenner family members, I just couldn't keep my eyes away from Kendall and her elegant take on the "naked" dress. From her refined hair and makeup, to the discreet underwear and very stylish heels, Kendall looked like a dream! Other naked dresses of the evening looked either cheap (Irina Shayk) or too revealing (Zoë Kravitz) for my liking




Favorite "Statement" Dress - Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez in Brother Vellies
I have never heard of this brand before or the talented designer/founder/creative director Aurora James behind it, but AOC found the best canvas to make her statement loud and clear, even at the MET Gala where a single ticket to enter the event costs $35,000: Tax the Rich she "shouted" in a room filled with rich people! 
*A special note here, I LOVED the designer's white dress, too, sexy yet sophisticated!





Most Show-Stopping Red Dress - Karlie Kloss in Wes Gordon for Carolina Herrera
Stunning Karlie in a sexy red mini dress with a train and grandiose ruffles around the neck looking like gigantic red roses matching her clutch. A show-stopping look for a beautiful and very talented woman! Many others went for red, like Isabelle Huppert, Venus Williams, Emily Ratajkowski and Megan Fox, but none of them got my attention like Karlie. 

With the designer Wes Gordon




Best "Sci-Fi" Dress - Emily Blunt in Miu Miu
Although many opted for sci-fi looks like Grimes, Hailee Steinfeld, Lorde and Hunter Schafer, among others, I strongly believe that Emily looked like a celestial goddess, reminding me of the extraordinary Hedy Lamarr in the "Ziegfeld Girl" movie

*Fact: Hedy Lamarr invented the technology that would one day form the basis for today's WiFi, GPS, and Bluetooth communication systems! 



Emily Blunt in Miu Miu and Siena Miller in Gucci

Most "Fascinating Back" Dress: Keke Palmer in Sergio Hudson
At first, I wasn't impressed with the front, of course, Keke looked stunning, as always, but the dress didn't say much. When I saw the back, my jaw dropped! Can you blame me?



Best Male Look: Timothée Chalamet in a Haider Ackermann blazer, Rick Owens top, Converse Chuck Taylors and... sweatpants
This young man, so talented, so handsome, is captivating the camera. I always look for him on the red carpet, because he has a personal style like no other. He is making a difference on the fashion scene, like Harry Styles, but closer to what I personally like. 



Do you agree with my picks? Which ones were your favorite. Let me know in the comments!

xoxo
|barefoot duchess|