The Year 1996

 

Blazer // ZARA
Skirt // Stradivarius
Belt // H&M (old)
Choker // ZARA
Earrings // Accessorize (very old)
Boots // ZARA (very old)
Bag // Missguided (very old)



Apart from 1978, the year I was born, there have been some very important years in my life so far. But the most distinguished of them all, during which very special and significant things happened to me, was the year 1996:

1. The year that I turned 18! I was one of those kids that just couldn't wait to grow up 
2. Sitting for the National Exams (enormous stress levels) and getting a place at the University of Patras
3. I had to move out of my parents house and live all by myself, which meant that I was supposed to take care of my apartment (decorate it, clean it, pay the bills) and manage the money that my mom sent me every month to cover all my needs. Although she never said "that's it, this is all I can give you", I never asked for more, instead I would keep some of it aside so that I can have extra money during the Carnival
4. Finally, I could wear whatever I wanted without asking anyone! The two first years, especially, I think I was walking around half naked, even in winter... 
5. I traveled to Rome and Florence, for the first time! A really unique and eye opening experience
6. Most important, I met my Duke! I still remember that mid-October day in every detail, even what he was wearing. I have kept his polo t-shirt
7. My best friend dumped me with no explanation. It was a big hit for me, that caused much sadness and frustration. I was having dreams for years, me chasing her around, begging her to tell me what happened and she kept avoiding me. Eighteen years forward, we found each other. She gave me the biggest gift and greatest honor, to become the godmother of her younger daughter, Electra
8. I started smoking and (fortunately) quit a few months later due to a severe pneumonia that almost cost my life
9. Aliki Vougiouklaki died, a national movie star. This might sound awkward, but I worshiped her, I still do, and her death was a big shock for me. 

Tell me about you, which year has been the most important for you, so far? I would love to know

xoxo
|barefoot duchess|

Photos by The Duke