Back to Black

 

Shirt // H&M (Men dpt)
Skirt // ASOS (very old)
Earrings // H&M
Belt // Stradivarius (old)
Shoes // ZARA (very old)
Bag // ZARA (old)



I grew up in a household where black clothes were a taboo. They symbolized mourning and only that. My grandmother, ever since I remember her until the day I got married, she wore black because she was grieving for someone's death... My mom, on the other hand, never wore black clothes because she considered them only suitable for funerals... She does not own a single black piece of clothing and, for many years, not even a bag or shoes that were black! One could say that for our family black clothes carried some kind of trauma with them.

As a teenager and later on as a young adult, my perspective of black was beyond the taboo. Instead, I felt I was looking at something alluring, mysterious and definitely something a liked a lot! I remember trying on my first black jumpsuit, back in high school, and feeling super cool and sexy, which I instantly bought, of course, without thinking it twice, spending a great deal of my allowance. Until I left the house, when I turned 18, to go study in another city, I would hide my black clothes because I was afraid that if my mom and granny saw them they would take them away 😂

The very first time I made an entrance at a family feast wearing a long black dress (which I still keep for the memories), my mom and grandmother both said in one voice, like a chorus: "Why black??"
"Because I like it and black likes me too" 😂😂

In general, I have to admit that they accepted it well, with no further discussions. And, of course, I was trying not to wear black in front of them way too often. Although I am a girl of pastels, whites and Spring, black will always have a special place in my heart and in my closet. And even though I was brainwashed as a child, I don't think of black (or any other color) as a mourning color, because grief is in our heart and not on our clothes. 🖤

xoxo
|barefoot duchess|

Photos by The Duke